Cynthia Wicklund On Indie & Audio Books

Cynthia Wicklund is the best selling author of The Garden Series. The first book in the series, In the Garden of Temptation, has been downloaded over half a million times worldwide.

Oddly enough, her first published book, Lord of Always, a Gothic romance published by Ellora's Cave, didn't really begin selling until readers were introduced to her Indie books.

Now, the first book in the Garden Series, In The Garden of Temptation and the second book in the series, In The Garden of Disgrace, are available as audio books.

If Historical Regency isn't your cup of tea, then try her paranormal romance Thief of Souls.

Cynthia Wicklund Tackles The Dirty Dozen


First let me say, Joan, thank you for inviting me to SlingWords today and introducing me to your readers again. It's always a pleasure!


1. Do you read ebooks? If so, what device do you use?

Yes, I do. I use the Kindle Touch. I also have a Kindle Fire, but my husband somehow ended up with it. :)


2. Do you listen to audio books? If so, what device do you use?

Again, yes. The Kindle Touch and my smartphone, the HTC Vivid.


3. When did you enter the indie publishing arena, and how has it affected your career?

I published my first Indie book at Smashwords in September 2010. How has it not affected my career would be easier to answer. I went from believing my dream wasn't going to happen to selling thousands of books all over the world. Some days I have to pinch myself because I can't believe it's true.


4. What's the best thing about being an indie author?

Getting my stories in front of readers. The occasional review that makes you want to hug the reviewer. One reviewer said, "I love me some Wicklund." That didn't just make my day, it made my week. Okay, more than that. It still makes me smile.


5. What's the worst thing about being an indie author?

The same as a traditional author. The pressure to produce. That butt to chair requirement that is an absolute necessity for achieving success.


6. What would you like to tell readers if you could appear in front of all of them?

Thank you. Thank you for reading my stories. Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, good or bad. And most of all, thank you for helping me realize my dream. Without the readers there is no dream.


7. Of all the books you've written and published, what is your favorite book? Why?

In the Garden of Temptation. That's the first book I ever wrote. I was a complete neophyte. I didn't understand pacing or point of view or plotting or a host of other requirements needed to produce a decent book. I was too ignorant of the process to know I was doing it all wrong. I just wrote what I wanted to write, and I had the time of my life. Needless to say, ITGOT required a complete overhaul before I could publish it, but it was my training ground, the book that taught me to love writing, and it will always be special because of that.


8. If you were a casting director and that book was being produced as a movie, who would you cast in the major roles?

I always find that question interesting. Usually I try not to imagine faces exactly as it's a distraction to me. However, occasionally, a person really strikes me as perfect. James Purefoy, so handsome and British in A Knight's Tale, ticks all the right boxes for any of my heroes. Hugh Jackman from Kate and Leopold ditto. I have more trouble imagining an actress -- not sure why -- but I think Katherine Heigl would be a great choice for my heroine -- if she could do a British accent. Maybe it's because I'd love to exude her energy and beauty.


9. Now that you are having audio books produced from all your titles, what do you think is the most difficult aspect of the audio book experience?

Ratings, without a doubt. Because you have a narrator, you're not just responsible for your own work. A bad review means your narrator got a bad review also.

10. How did you go about choosing your narrator?

Helen Lloyd, who narrated In the Garden of Temptation, had samples on the ACX site. All I can say is she had the most warm, melodic voice and beautiful British accent. I was honored that she accepted my offer. She did an absolutely amazing job.


11. What are you currently working on?

I have a new trilogy, Knights of Heaven, that I'm currently working on. The first book, Heaven in His Touch, was already supposed to be out, so I'm a little behind schedule, but I'm working furiously to catch up. The stories are historical, British set, but they'll have a paranormal aspect to them.


12. Where online can readers find you?


Twitter: @CynthiaWicklund
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/cynthia.wicklund
Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/4105912.Cynthia_Wicklund

My books are available at most ebook sellers, and my audio books can be found at Audible, Amazon, and Apple. My website is woefully out of date, but my New Year's resolution is to do something about that.

Takeaway Truth

Thanks for joining us today and giving readers and listeners a chance to get to know you better.

No comments:

Post a Comment