My Mortal Enemies List

Inspired by Sheldon Cooper of The Big Bang Theory, I decided at 1:38am this morning to start my own Mortal Enemies List.

Now, you may be wondering what caused this epiphany?

I had spent more than an hour trying to navigate the newly updated version of a website I frequently use.

Then another hour trying to revert it back to the previous version.

Sheldon had 72 people on his list. My list is very short, and there are no people on it. Only tech companies and websites.

First, A Disclaimer

Let me be honest. Ordinarily, I like these companies and their products. I like the websites and find them extremely useful. What I don't like is the constant updating of their interfaces and/or software.

Questions for Developers

Why take a perfectly good website interface and change it to something that is not intuitive at all?

Why not give the users the option to continue using the version which they know and love to infinity?

Why should an update make it harder to use the prodcut and less intuitive than the original?

Why can't you leave an interface alone when it's elegant and works well?

I find I spend more and more time trying to fix software bugs caused by other software that has updated overnight.

Time is money for me. The hours each week in troubleshooting software and hardware could be used in writing thousands of words!

So, it's come to acting like nerdy Sheldon Cooper whose main characteristic is his dislike of change. Okay, I'll admit change can be a problem. But only if it creates problems in and of itself. Otherwise, I'm fine with change. I like new shiny things and tools and skills.

But sometimes I want to yell, "Give me a break! Leave the fracking software alone for a year."

My Mortal Enemies

1. Wordpress. Why in H-E-double L do you think Gutenberg version is an improvement?

2. YouTube. Why do you think the new Beta Version is better than the original?

3. Microsoft. Why do you send updates that blow up my printer-scanner's ability to scan using the HP software?

4. Mozilla. Why is every update fraught with problems?

5. iTunes. Every update is a learning experience. It's like playing hide and seek.

What are your pet peeves when it comes to working online?

I guess I should quit bitching and moaning and try to get some work done now. Thanks for listening.

Takeaway Truth

Gee, I wonder if I'll get kicked off these websites now?

No comments:

Post a Comment