Small Town Saturday with Constance Bretes

If you're fascinated by small town life and love to read about it--or write about it--Small Town Saturday is for you.

Today on Small Town Saturday, my guest is Constance Bretes, author of Blue As Sapphires.

In Her Own Words: Constance Bretes

I started writing contemporary romance and contemporary romantic suspense 15 years ago. After multiple rejections, I got my first contract for Delayed Justice, which was released in 2014. I live in the small town of Basin, Montana, with a population of 250 people, and a lot of pets.

Three feline furballs own me and my husband, and a dog that lives next door named Sara thinks she also lives part-time with the Bretes family.

I love the mountains that surround my home, I love basket weaving, jewelry making, and just visiting all the folks in the small community we live in.

Visit Constance Bretes Online

Website * Facebook * Twitter * Goodreads * Email Constance: bretesc at gmail.com

Why A Small Town Setting In Blue As Sapphires
 by Constance Bretes

I have a love for sapphires and gold digging. We’ve gone to Philipsburg, Montana, on many occasions to do hunt for sapphires and dig for gold.

Philipsburg is a real small town just a little bigger--population of 970--than my town of Basin.

In Blue As Sapphires, I used a stand-in for the real town and called the town I created Frankenburg.

In larger towns or cities, it seems harder and more unlikely that old friends could reunite. The heroine in this story came back to the town she grew up in to hide and escape. However, no matter how hard she tried to be isolated and be by herself, the Sheriff and her old friends refuse to let her be by isolated.

Typical Small Town in U.S.A.
Almost all my books are located in small towns, some are real, some I’ve used a stand-in name for a town.

I’ve got several works in progress where I use the town I live in--Basin--which I've changed to Mason for my purposes, and Boulder, where I changed the town name to Rocky River.

One of the best things about small town life is the closeness everyone feels for others, the protectiveness, and always the willingness to help your neighbor.

I also like positive gossip. I hate negative gossip. In other words, I love to hear about good things in people or good things that happen to people, but I walk away when someone starts badmouthing.

If you’re a visitor to Montana, make Philipsburg one of your stopovers. They have a huge candy store, an opera house, and lots of activities in the summer which I’ve included in my book, Blue As Sapphires.

There’s a mountain nearby, called Gem Mountain, where the owners go into the mountain and dig up dirt and bring it to a base, where visitors can shift through for sapphires, or buy a bucket or two and take with them.

What's next for me? I’ve got 6 + books in various stages of edits, and critiques. I am currently working on a story called Roadside Love, situated in another small town in Wyoming. I hope to be able to have at least 2 more books released by the end of 2018.

Blue As Sapphires by Constance Bretes

Marissa's home was her haven--until Riley invaded her space.

Escaping from her abusive ex-husband, Marissa Simpson returns to her hometown to start over. She spends her days working at the local jewelry store, and the rest of her time is dedicated to mining along Red Rock River, searching for precious gems.

Marissa has no intention of getting involved with another man, or with the community she left behind all those years ago. That is until Riley McCade shows up.

Riley is the Sheriff of Quartz County. He loves his community and goes out of his way to protect and serve. When he meets Marissa, he's bound and determined to get to know her even though she insists she's not interested.

The more Riley learns about Marissa's past, the more he concludes that she may be in danger. When her ex-husband shows up, can Riley protect her? And can he earn her love in the process?

Add Blue As Sapphires to Your Library

Amazon * B&N * Kobo *

Takeaway Truth

I don't know about you, but I'd love to visit Montana and try my luck at Gem Mountain. If you can't take off for Big Sky Country, grab Connie's book and take a vacation between the book covers. Grab a copy of Blue As Sapphires today.

13 comments:

  1. Thank you, so much, Joan for having me on your blog again today. Happy Holidays to you and everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love using small towns in my stories, esp. a series. It feels "real." Best wishes, Connie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Diane. I agree, small towns makes the stories seem so real. It seems you can get lost in a big city.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wish I'd known about Philipsburg when we visited Montana a couple years ago. It sounds fun. BLUE AS SAPPHIRES sounds like a great read!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Marissa, it is a very nice town, and worth adding to your places to visit the next time you head this way! Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love small towns! Sounds like a great read!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love small towns! I too make up names for some (EX: Stars Crossing, TN) and use real locations for others (EX: Bandera, TX)

    Great post. Very interesting.
    Good luck and God's blessings
    PamT

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing, Connie. I also love small towns which is why I chose to relocate from the city to a small seaside village. And I'm loving it! I never feel like an anonymous cog and I certainly can never get away with hiding. My new friends, who now feel like I've known them forever, would just keep knocking on my door until I opened it! Sending you tons of luck with your lovely book, and wishing you an awesome festive season. Anni xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anni, one of the interesting things here is that no one locks their doors. I hope you have a wonderful season too!

      Delete
  9. Great post. Sounds like you do an excellent job with settings. I would love to visit Philipsburg. I took a trip to Montana years ago and fell in love. Enjoyed your excerpt...best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alicia. It's quite easy to fall in love with Montana. We did 10 years ago, and finally we moved here. Happy holidays.

      Delete