Always Tired? You Should Read This

If you're like me, you're always looking for a way to feel more energetic.

I confess that I start must days tired and end them exhausted.

Being tired is generally a topic of conversation with most women I know.

Recently, I heard about the FODMAP diet. It's a way of eating to treat people who have SIBO, a condition that afflicts mostly women over 40. After hearing about this, I looked up all those acronyms and did a little research. This is what I found.

SIBO

Image by Anastasia Gepp from Pixabay
SIBO is a condition in which unhealthy bacteria create a low-acid envioronment in the small intestine.

This prevents food from being broken down. Symptoms include lack of energy, bloating, and generally feeling bad all the time.

SIBO is treated with supplements: an antimicrobial to reduce bacteria in the gut, a digestive enzyme to aid digestion, and compounds that promote healing of the gut lining.

This can be medically diagnosed, but many doctors aren't familiar with it. You'd want to talk to a gastroenterologist about it.

SIBO is diagnosed with a SIBO Home Breath Test. There is a home test kit, but it's expensive at $175.00.

Learn more about SIBO.

I previewed several books on SIBO. I currently am reading The Gut Health Protocol because it had so many stellar reviews, and it's on Kindle Unlimited. I'll review the book when I'm finished. If it's really good on the subject of SIBO, I'll probably buy a print version.

FODMAP

The final part of the treatment is the FODMAP diet. FODMAP stands for Fermentable Oligosaccharides, Disaccharides, Monosaccharides and Polyols.

These are all short-chain carbohydrates, that is, poorly digested sugars that ferment and set in your gut, feeding the bacteria that cause SIBO.

This diet eliminates foods high in the carbohydrate fructan as well as highly fermantable foods such as sugar, grains, legumes, and dairy. All of those feed bad bacteria.

What To Eat?

Chicken, fish, and eggs for protein. Low fructan fruit like strawberries and low fructan vegetables such as zucchini and broccoli.

Image by Denise Husted from Pixabay
Go to FODMAP 101 to learn more.

Takeaway Truth

If you feel lousy and tired, find out more about this condition. You deserve to feel healthy and energetic every single day.

Let me know if you try this FODMAP diet, and if it improves your health.

No comments:

Post a Comment