He wasn't supposed to be home tonight so I didn't make dinner.
Of course he showed up at dinner time so I used my Instant Pot to make dinner.
I grabbed a package of hamburger meat from the freezer and defrosted it in the microwave.
Note: If you have the saute function, you can defrost it as you brown it in your electric pressure cooker.
We love Sloppy Joe sandwiches so much that I always keep a jar of sweet relish in the fridge just for this recipe. It's so good. You'll love it!
Best Sloppy Joe Ever
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium to large onion, coasely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 large bell pepper (any color) chopped or 1 4-ounce can chopped green chiles
- 8 ounce can of tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons your favorite ketchup
- 5 ounces dark beer
- 1/2 tablespoon Worcestershire
- 1 teaspoon dry ground mustard
- 1 1/2 tablespoons mustard (yellow, Dijon, or spicy brown)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chile powder
- 1 teaspoon dried garlic powder (omit if you're not a garlic fan)
- 2 tablespoons EVOO
- Brown ground beef, remove, and drain the fat off.
- Saute the onion, garlic, and bell peppers in the EVOO.
- Add the browned beef back to the pressure cooker, and toss in the other ingredients.
- Stir to mix it all together.
- Set your pressure cooker to cook for 15 minutes at high pressure. (If you have something other than an Instant Pot, use your cooker's settings which will probably be for stew or chili.)
- If you're in a hurry, do a quick steam release.
- Serve on a multigrain bun or bread with sweet relish. A salad or tangy cole slaw—and the rest of the bottle of dark beer—is perfect with a Sloppy Joe.
Electric pressure cookers like Instant Pot make dinner easier than ever.