5 Ways to Feel Better Now

If you look for any advice on being happy, you'll find virtually the same thing from source after source.

"It isn’t what you have or who you are or where you are or what you are doing that makes you happy or unhappy. It is what you think about it." – Dale Carnegie

Yet we all end up thinking, "If only I had a better job..." or "If only I had a bigger house..." or "If only I could lose 20 pounds..."

Focusing on what you perceive as lacking is a recipe for unhappiness. Better to ask yourself why not having the perfect job or a new car or a cruise vacation makes you so unhappy.

1. Focus on what you have, not what you lack.

Really, think about it. Do you have enough to eat? Do you have people who love you?

2. Appreciate what you do have.

Do you have a place to live? Thousands are homeless. Do you have a job? Many are unemployed. Every day think about all you have even though that may not be perfect.

3. Keep an appreciation journal.

Every day write about something that you are grateful to have in your life.

4. Write this affirmation 10 times every morning and evening—preferably in your appreciation journal.

I'm paraphrasing a quotation from Mary Engelbreit: "If I don't like something, I change it; if I can't change it, I change the way I think about it." Do this for 1 month and see if your attitude changed.

5. If you're miserable because your life isn't perfect, go for a walk right now.

Often, bad moods and thoughts can be chased away by getting some exercise which increases blood flow, thus more oxygen for your brain, and causes the brain to release endorphins, those feel-good hormones.

Takeaway Truth

Life doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment