You can use lean ground beef if you don't want the fat of other types plus adding oatmeal gives it some healthy fiber.
It's easy to throw together to bake in your slow cooker.
By the way, the brand name of my slow cooker is Crock-Pot®. Yours may be a different brand. If I say Crock-Pot®, take it to mean a slow cooker.
I depend on my Crock-Pot and my Instant Pot when I have more things to do than time in which to do them.
It's one way I always have dinner ready to serve. Chances are you may already have the ingredients. Mix it up now, place it in your slow cooker, and have meat loaf tonight.
Mom's Meat Loaf
- 2 pounds of ground beef (a 90/10 fat ratio is what I use)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2/3 cup quick cooking non-flavored raw oatmeal
- 1 package dry onion or mushroom-onion soup mix
- 1/2 cup ketchup (reserve 2 tablespoons for spreading on top)
- Optional: seasoning herbs (for Italian flavor, add 1/2 teaspoon Italian herbs or oregano; for Tex-Mex flavoring, add 1/2 teaspoon cumin and 1/2 teaspoon chili powder)
- Spray interior of Crock-Pot with Pam® or a similar non-stick spray.
- Combine ground beef, eggs, oatmeal, soup mix, herbs if desired, and ketchup (except for 2 tablespoons).
- Mix well.
- Shape into a loaf.
- Using a spatula, lift the loaf and place in the Crock-Pot.
- Spread the remaining 2 tbsp. of ketchup over the top.
- Cover and bake on low 8-10 hours or on high for 4-6 hours.
Add some mashed potatoes, a green veggie and/or a tossed salad, some crusty French bread, and you'll have a great meal to serve the family.
If you're a busy woman, a slow cooker makes good dinners possible every day.
Join me every Saturday when I share a recipe, a household or organizational tip, or a short cut to make life easier for you! Enjoy your weekend.