Review: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

As an author, I'm always drawn to movies about authors, books, and writing.

That was the hook that had me adding The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, a 2018 Netflix original, to my watch list. Finally, I made the time to watch this movie.

Short Blurb

In the aftermath of World War II, a writer forms an unexpected bond with the residents of Guernsey Island when she decides to write a book about their experiences during the war.

So Much More To It

When you start watching, you immediately sense the hidden undercurrents in the author's life and in the people she meets on Guernsey.

There's much hidden beneath the surface of the story of a literary society formed during the occupation by the Germans.

With stellar performances by Lily James as Juliet Ashton, the author, and Michiel Huisman as Dawsey Adams, one of the founders of the literary society.

The other quirky members of the literary society are Elizabeth McKenna, portrayed by Jessica Brown Findlay; Eben Ramsey portrayed by Tom Courtenay; and Isola Pribby portrayed by Katherine Parkinson.

Marek Oravec played the German Officer and Jack Morris as the German Soldier. Matthew Goode portrayed the publisher, Sidney Stark. Glen Powell played the American soldier, Mark Reynolds.

That's all I'll say other than watch this movie. It will make you want to walk the woods of Guernsey as it existed 70 years ago, and this movie will touch your heart in so many ways.

Takeaway Truth

I highly recommend this lovely movie, and I hope you'll watch it too.

3 comments:

  1. I thought the book was better than the movie. Maybe because I read it first. But enjoyed watching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to add this to the Netflix list. I loved the book so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy it for what it is, Liz, and try to ignore what it isn't according to the comment from another reader. *g*

      Delete