A lot of people avoid "white" potatoes because they're high in starchy carbs. Others avoid potatoes because they're trying to eliminate nightshade plants from their diet.
The creamy baked goodness of Cheesy Zucchini Casserole is a nice substitute for scalloped potatoes, but it can also stand up as a meatless entree for a simple supper.
This dish serves 6 to 8 and is so easy to throw together at the end of a busy day. It's delicious and easy. With a salad and some French or Italian bread, it's all you need for a family-friendly meal.
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil (I always use olive oil)
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 3 large zucchini (or yellow squash), washed, stemmed, and cubed to a 1 inch size (If you're in a big hurry, slice the zucchini uniformly and it will cook faster than the cubes.)
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup milk, warmed
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (get the regular stuff, not fat-free)
- 1/2 cup crushed Ritz Crackers
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup grated Gruyere cheese (That's the best kind for au gratin of any variety, but you can use cheddar if you're economizing or don't have the Gruyere. My husband's grandmother used Parmesan sometimes. My husband always thinks the cheesier, the merrier so I use a little more than 1/3 cup.)
- Preheat over to 350 degrees.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and saute until lightly brown--don't burn it!
- Add cubed zucchini, salt, and pepper and saute until the squash is browned. Don't overcook it. You want it just barely soft, not mushy. Takes about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Sprinkle in the flour and stir constantly until the vegetables are coated. Pour in the warmed milk and keep stirring until the mixture thickens. (Congrats! You just used the flour, fat, and warmed milk to make a Bechamel Sauce. Common name is white sauce.)
- Remove from heat, stir in the mayo.
- Spray a large baking dish with Pam or something similar and pour the mixture in it.
- In a Ziplok bag, combine the crackers and Gruyere. Crush with a a rolling pin or flat bottom of a sauce pan or your hands. Shake bag to mix well.
- Sprinkled the cracker crumb mixture over the casserole.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until browned and bubbly.
I really think you'll like this. Let me know if you do. Have a great Saturday.