Julie Kavanagh Tackles The Dirty Dozen

Today's post is late publishing due to technical difficulties, but it's worth waiting for.

I'm happy to welcome Julie Kavanagh, author of A Sprig of White Heather.

About Julie Kavanagh

Julie loves to write and spends much of her time thinking about writing when she’s not actually writing.
She works in an inner city London Primary school supporting Literacy, and loves sharing her passion of reading and writing with the next generation.

She lives in the same street she grew up in with her supportive husband, one of her daughters and six rescue cats, although she dreams of living in a country cottage in an olde worlde English village.

Julie believes in true love and aspects of the paranormal and can sometimes be found sitting in the dark on a ghost hunt. This fascination can be found in several of her stories.

She also loves to hear from fans so why not contact her on her Facebook page or Amazon author page? Visit Juli Online: Facebook * Website and read on to see how Julie answers 12 questions about her writing process and her life as an author.

Julie Kavanagh Tackles the Dirty Dozen

Q1: In what genre do you write and why that particular genre?
Julie:I write both paranormal romance and sweet romance. I love to write paranormal romances and like to set my characters challenges although I want to see them happy by the end. No matter what genre I write, I like to include romance because I’m a great believer in true love, and that there’s a special someone out there for everyone.

Q2: What inspired your book?
Julie: My inspiration for ‘A Sprig of White Heather’ is my interest in past lives. I like the thought that we can correct mistakes we made in past lives to enhance our present lives. Plus, of course, I love the idea that each of us have a true love in all our lives. My husband says I’m a born romantic.

Q3: As an author, what can readers expect when they read one of your books?
Julie: Readers can expect romance although my characters usually conflict when they first meet. I can’t make it easy for them, now can I? I like to see how my characters change when met by someone who doesn’t agree with their point of view. I also like the happy ending, although in my Demon Witch series of books, I found I couldn’t end any of them with a simple happy ending. There’s just too much happening in Luca’s life, and most of the books in the series end with a cliffhanger.

Q4: How did you "become" an author? For instance, was there a moment when you said: "I think I'll write a book.”
Julie: I’ve always written, even as a child. I scribbled stories down on pieces of paper. As a teenager, I penned a truly dreadful novel about a girl who was forever in trouble. I think I might still have it somewhere but it will never see the light of day. I have boxes of handwritten stories which I will, one day, put into my computer. As a teacher and a mother, I would think up stories on the spot to entertain my own children at bedtime, or the Special Needs children I worked with. Children love to listen to stories, especially they have an opportunity to input characters and situations.

Q5: What's the best thing about being an author?
Julie: The very best thing about being an author is getting my ideas, my vision down onto a screen and then, hopefully, on paper. If I don’t write every day, I have what I call a back -up. I have so many ideas and scraps of conversion that I need to get them out of my head and into words. Does that sound crazy? Probably, but the way I remain sane.

Q6: What's the worst thing about being an author?
Julie: Oh, that has to be the isolation. A writer works in solitude and it can be a lonely job. Of course, I’ve got my characters to talk to but it’s nice to discuss a scene or a change of plot with someone real. I have a few friends online whom I talk to and that helps a lot. Plus, of course, when a reader gets in touch and tells you how much they enjoyed your book, it’s the greatest feeling in the world. Recently, at my daughter’s wedding, one of the guests came up to me to say she’d read everything I’d written and was my biggest fan. Her words, and the hug she gave me made an already wonderful day into a truly awesome day.


Q7: What device do you use to read ebooks?
Julie: I have an ancient iPad, I think it’s an iPad 2. It’s on its last legs, but it and I trundle along together. I like to think we understand each other although I’m a little impatient when it takes forever to load up, but I like to read in bed and it’s handy for that. I have to confess that I like to read in the bath too and my iPad works a treat – as long as I don’t drop it into the water.

Q8: Do you have editions of your books available other than ebook editions?
Julie: Some of my books are available in paperback, which is very exciting for me. I’m currently working on the first novels in the Demon Witch series to release them in paperback. A Sprig of White Heather will also be available very soon in paperback.

Q9: Do you listen to audio books? If so, where can readers find them, and what device do you use to listen to audiobooks?
Julie: I rarely listen to audiobooks, I find I get too easily distracted, which is the same as television for me. I have a very good friend who keeps telling me to listen to them and that I will change my mind about them.

Q10: If you could give one piece of advice to an aspiring author, what would it be?
Julie: I’ve been asked this question a lot and this made me think back to when I started writing to publish my work. My advice would be to ignore the critics, to listen to your own thoughts
(and those of your characters) and to just write. Many people think they can write a book, but it’s not an easy as it looks. You have to sacrifice many hours of your day ( and night) to sit at a keyboard and it takes a lot of passion, and dedication just to get the story written.

Q11:If you could tell readers one thing, what would it be?
Julie: Take a chance on a new writer, or one you’ve never read before. There’s so much talent out there in the Indie world that you might be missing out on some wonderful stories… oooh and always, always leave a review. It doesn’t to be long or complicated, but reading the words of someone who loves your work is such an amazing feeling. It makes everything you so worthwhile

Q12: What is your current big dream, or goal, as a writer?
Julie: My dream is just to keep writing. I’m currently finishing off the 4th story in the Summer Street Series, New Year’s Love on Summer Street, and the next installment of the Demon WitchDidier’s Diary.


Cameron Mackenzie loses his true love in a brutal attack, and blaming it on his mistress, she curses him and his friends to eternal life unless he can find his true love once again.

After five hundred years of loneliness and guilt, Cameron meets Caitlyn, a woman who has recently divorced her cheating husband. Emotions spark between them, but for the wrong reasons and Cameron suspects she is the evil witch who cursed him.

Caitlyn still reeling from the after-shocks of her broken marriage is attracted to the dark, broody Scot but he frightens her although she can’t explain why.

Something is happening in the remote Scottish hotel Caitlyn has come to experience and she begins to fear for her life.

What is going on and what dark magic haunts her dreams? Can she escape with her life or is the brooding Cameron her destiny?

Add A Sprig of White Heather to Your Library

You'll find Julie's novel at: Amazon UK * Amazon US.

Takeaway Truth

Don't you love to discover new authors? I do. Why not grab Julie's book for the weekend?

2 comments: