Afraid Your Writing Isn't Good Enough?


Have you ever been afraid that your writing isn't good enough?

If you've wondered if it's normal to doubt the quality of what you write, I have some good news for you.

I don't think I know very many writers who finish a manuscript and thinks, "Wow. This is fantastic."

We are all creatures of insecurity.

I've been published by 5 different publishers including my French publisher, and I still doubt everything I write.

I've got more than a million books in print floating around the planet, and I don't know how many ebook sales, and I still feel that way.

I can finish a chapter and be satisfied with it. Overnight I get this gnawing anxiety. The next morning when I sit at the computer, I know what I wrote the day before is pure crap.

When I finish a book, it's so hard to just click the publish button. I felt the same way every time I mailed off a manuscript to my editor. I was always convinced it was terrible, and that it would never sell.

Not Just Me

Guess what? I'm not the only one who thinks this way. I personally know enough "household name" authors who feel the same way!

I think we just get to the stage of: "Oh, hell, just publish the damn thing and move on." If we didn't just let go, there would never be any published books.

The oddest thing is that the people who brag about how good their books are--and I don't mean some kind of marketing statement or obvious promotion statement--but an honest to God conviction that their writing is the greatest thing since sliced bread? Those people are the ones whose books are crap!!!

You have to tread the fine line of perfectionism, knowing that your work will never be what you want it to be in your eyes, and the reality that it really is good enough to publish.

Emotion Married to Fear

Feeling insecure about your writing, lacking confidence in your talent and skill--that's emotion and fear bound together. You will find no joy with your writing career if you are controlled by that ruthless killer of creativity.

Instead, one must learn to intellectualize about the writing. That's using your conscious brain to work for you rather than against you. Doing this will help muffle the little editor inside you who screams, "You and your writing suck!"

6 Ways to Fight the Fear Paired With Affirmation

1. Create affirmations that work for you. An affirmation is a strong positive thought. When utilized properly it can effect change in you. Construct a positive thought to fight against the negative self-talk that defeats you. Arm yourself with a chosen affirmation when you find yourself in a battle with--yourself!

For every negative thought that crops up, immediately replace it with a positive message. That's how to fight fear and win. Make your positive messages to yourself a mantra. Say the affirmation that has magic in it to combat your fears. Say it. Write it. Speak it. Think it. Internalize it. (I am a wonderful person, and I deserve to succeed and win.)

2. Accept that there will always be a certain amount of fear, but work to control it rather than let it control you. (I control and manage any fear that arises.)

3. Instead of doubting and being depressed by every sentence you write, cut yourself a break. Never read a work in progress. Rip through the damned thing from beginning to end then go back to assess and edit. (I am a good writer who sells books and delights readers.)

4. Become conscious of your self-defeating thoughts so that you can defeat them. (I banish negative self-talk and focus on the positive because I am a good writer.)

Word effectively, and remember to play!
5. Accept the truth that writing can be hard work but it should also be satisfying, not drudgery. (I love writing, and it makes me happy.)

6. To write well and be happy, relationships are important. Don't lose sight of the people in your life because you're so obsessed with writing successfully.

Being a writing workaholic is as rewarding as being any kind of workaholic--you may get a lot of work done, but are you happy? (I take time to live my life and enjoy the people I love.)

Takeaway Truth

A final affirmation for you: "I am a wonderful writer, and I deserve to succeed."

No comments:

Post a Comment