Full Moon Names

iWrite Cap (WriteWay, Joan's Shop)
As a writer, I collect a lot of information. Some of it is big--reams of information.

Some of it is small--little tidbits that are interesting, but not necessarily something I need when I find it. I save all these little bits in a fat folder labeled, "Tidbits."

I was sifting through the folder, looking for something to spark an idea, when I came across a page I'd torn from an old Farmer's Almanac many years ago.

I paused to skim it, and I thought I'd share this tidbit here in case some of you find it's something you can use.

Maybe it's a tidbit that is the perfect title you've been looking for. Maybe it will spark your imagination with a story idea.

Full Moon Names

These names came from folklore and from Native Americans. You've heard of the Blue Moon, the name given to the second Full Moon in a calendar month, and you may have heard of the Black Moon, which is the name given to the second New Moon in a month. You're probably familiar with the Harvest Moon too, but what about the rest of these full moon names?

January - Moon After Yule or Old Moon

February - Snow Moon, Hunger Moon, or Wolf Moon

March - Sap Moon, Crow Moon, or Lenten Moon

April - Grass Moon or Egg Moon

May - Planting Moon or Milk Moon

June - Rose Moon, Flower Moon, or Strawberry Moon

July - Thunder Moon or Hay Moon

August - Green Corn Moon or Grain Moon

September - Fruit Moon or Harvest Moon

October - Hunter's Moon

November - Frosty Moon or Beaver Moon

December - Moon Before Yule or Long Night Moon

Takeaway Truth

If this tidbit "speaks" to you, let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment