If you're making it for you and a friend, leftovers store beautifully.
Just reheat in the microwave for another easy meal.
Today I'm sharing Beefy Cornbread Bake, a Tex-Mex casserole that is as fast to put together as it is delicious. Perfect for those busy weekday evenings or dress it up for Sunday dinner.
Beefy Cornbread Bake
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 tsp. dried Mexican oregano leaves, crushed (plain oregano will do if that's what you have)
- 3/4 cup Pace® Picante Sauce (that's what we use in Texas. You can use another picante or even Rotel Tomatoes)
- 1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
- 1 can (about 16 oz.) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- OPTION: 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese reserved
- 1 pkg. (about 8 oz.) corn muffin or cornbread mix or just mix up cornbread batter if that's in your repertoire. If you use a mix, make sure it isn't a sweet variety of cornbread. Sweet cornbread is just gross in this.
Serve BEEFY CORNBREAD BAKE with good red wine.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cook ground beef and oregano in a skillet until browned. Pour off the fat.
- Add the picante or tomatoes, tomato sauce, and drained corn.
- Heat through.
- Stir in 1/2 cup shredded cheese.
- Pour mixture into a 2-quart square baking dish.
- Prepare cornbread mix according to the package directions.
- Spread cornbread batter over the meat mixture.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes until cornbread topping is golden brown.
- Remove from oven, let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- If you want to use the additional 1/2 cup of cheese, serve with the casserole, along with extra Picante sauce.
Have a wonderful weekend!