Music History

I was listening to the soundtrack from the first John Wick movie (in preparation for seeing John Wick 2 which released today) and started looking up the titles and artists of the music from the new movie.

Fun Music Website

In doing that, I came across This Day in Music, a website with music history events. The first fact I read was: "1942, Chattanooga Choo Choo by Glenn Miller and his Orchestra became the first recording to be awarded a Gold record."

Glenn Miller's big band sound was the music of my mom's youth. Even when she was in her eighties, she'd dance around to big band music or Jerry Lee Lewis records.

My family just loved music. In his youth, my maternal grandfather was called Fiddler John. My dad picked guitar and sang. The radio or the stereo was always playing so music has always been part of my life.

My mom played her favorite big band music, Dean Martin, Elvis Presley, or early rock and roll from Sun Records. My dad played old time country music. If a record wasn't playing on the stereo, my dad picked guitar and sang.

Soundtracks to My Books

When I started writing, I always listened to music. In fact, I created soundtracks for most of my books. Sometimes, I published the list of songs on SlingWords. I haven't done that in a while, but I think I'll start again this year.

I love using music with the video book trailers I make. I'm very selective about that music and always try to match the music to the mood or premise of the story, or the main character's emotional state.

On This Day in Music History

From This Day in Music, I learned these things happened on this day in the past:

1937, Born on this day, Roberta Flack, US singer, songwriter, who had the 1972 US No.1 single The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face, 1973 US No.1 & UK No.6 single Killing Me Softly With His Song.

1968, The Four Tops Greatest Hits was at No.1 on the UK album chart, the first No.1 album for the Tamla Motown label.

1973, Elton John had his first UK No.1 album when Don't Shoot Me I'm Only The Piano Player started a six-week run at the top of the charts.

1979, Rod Stewart started a four week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with Da Ya Think I'm Sexy, his third US No.1.

1984, Frankie Goes To Hollywood were at No.1 on the UK singles chart for the third week with Relax.

2008, Amy Winehouse won 5 prizes at the Grammy Awards, including song of the year and record of the year, both for her single Rehab, and Best New Artist.Three years later she was dead from alcohol poisoning.

Takeaway Truth

You might want to add This Day in Music as a resource for excellent music facts and trivia.

No comments:

Post a Comment