Cleaning A Smelly Book

Do you still shop for print books? I do. I like to find bargain books, but sometimes, these bargains can smell a bit funky.

I love shopping at used book stores because I always find some great bargains. I primarily look for reference books now since most of my novel reading is done on my Kindle.

One of my favorite bargain book shops has a motley assortment from old category paperbacks of every genre to current bestsellers and hardbacks along with thousands of esoteric nonfiction along with pop culture nonfiction books.

Downside of Bargain Books

Unfortunately, bargain books can sometimes be, well, smelly. If they smell like stale cigarette smoke, I pass them by. Nothing gets that smell out of a book. However, if the book has the common stale musty odor, I know the trick to eradicating that nasty smell. It’s simple and economical too.

How To Remove The Smell From Books

1. Use baking soda or cornstarch.
2. Sprinkle either cornstarch or baking soda on the pages of the book.
3. Place the book in a Ziplok bag and seal it.
4. Leave it sealed up in the plastic bag for a week.
5. Remove it from the bag, shake the powder out, and the book should smell normal.

One Warning

Do NOT use baking soda on antique books because it might harm old paper. Also, do NOT use this treatment on damp books. They must be completely dry.

Takeaway Truth

A bargain book is only a bargain if it pleases all the senses. Happy bargain book hunting!

Readers, sign up for my Mailing List/Free NL and connect Online with me: Blog * Website * Facebook * Google+ * Pinterest * Twitter * YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment