What is your biggest goal?
What can you do today that will have the biggest impact on that goal?
List everything you think you need to do on a given day. Now look at each item, and answer honestly. Does this affect my biggest goal? If it does then it's #1 on your priority list. If it doesn't, then it should be farther down on your priorities.
Grade the items on your list:
- A: items you must do or there will be dire consequences. Paying bills, writing your quota for the day, getting a deposit into the bank, etc.
- B: things you need to do after you've taken care of your A list. These might be doing the laundry, gassing up the car, editing your book description online.
- C: things you'd like to do but nothing bad happens if you don't. Examples, comment on other blog posts, see what's happening on Facebook, checking your email 40 times a day.
- D: these are "busy work" that you could delegate if you're lucky enough to have someone to hand off these items to.
- E: stuff that can be eliminated without any consequences.
Learn to do your #1 priority task first every morning. It's not easy when the pressure of social media, promotion, and email weigh heavily on you, but you'll be more successful if you do.