Keeper Shelf Review: 38 Most Common Writing Mistakes by Jack Bickham

I've been re-reading some of my favorite books--fiction and nonfiction. Many of you may not have heard of these books because they were published years ago so I'm posting short reviews to boost awareness of them.

Fabulous How-To Write Book

One favorite book on writing is a thin volume entitled The 38 Most Common Fiction Writing Mistakes (And How To Avoid Them) by Jack M. Bickham. My copy was signed by Mr. Bickham when I met him in the spring of 1992 at a writer's conference at the University of Houston.

Mr. Bickham wrote many novels, some of which were turned into movies. He also wrote several books on the craft of writing. I have all of his how-to write books and recommend them all.

The 38 Most Common Fiction Writing Mistakes (And How To Avoid Them) is a good one with which to start. Albeit slim, the book is packed with solid information in an easily understood format. It's succinct, focused, and often humorous.

For beginning writers, the 38 points it makes are especially valuable. If you read no other writing book, read this one because it will get you on the right track. If you follow the 38 "rules," you'll write good fiction.

For experienced writers, this book will point out the mistakes too many writers make when they get lazy. There's nothing worse, or more fatal to a career, than becoming a lazy writer. I've read this book several times over the years because I never want to become a lazy writer.

Add This Book to Your Library

Amazon has this available in Kindle, Hardcover, and Paperback--in new and used.

Takeaway Truth

The 38 Most Common Fiction Writing Mistakes (And How To Avoid Them) will always have a place on my keeper shelf.

No comments:

Post a Comment