Funny Lines from Movies

I've been keeping my daughter company since last Friday. She's the one who had surgery. We've watched some favorite "feel-good" movies like The Jane Austen Book Club, Galaxy Quest, Office Space, and others.

Great Lines from Great Movies

There are some scenes in movies that just stick with you. As a writer, one that comes to mind is Paul Giamatti in Sideways where he portrays a frustrated, unpublished, struggling writer.

When Giamatti tells Virginia Madsen the title of his book--The Day After Yesterday--she looks puzzled a moment, then asks: "Today? You mean today?"

I don't know why, but that just cracks me up--almost as much as the scene in Office Space where Peter, our dubious hero portrayed by Ron Livingston, says: "I don't like my job, and I'm not going to go any more."

After some conversation, Jennifer Aniston, who plays Joanna, the girl with minimum Flair, asks if he's going to get a new job. Peter says: "I don't think I'll like another job."

Joanna asks what he's going to do about money and paying bills. Peter says: "...I never really liked paying bills, I don't think I'm going to do that either."

Who doesn't love that? How many times have we all wanted to say that and be able to follow through?

Then there's the inspiring: "Never give up. Never surrender!" from Galaxy Quest.

We Who Labor, Unite!

Put on a Hawaiian shirt, shorts, and sunglasses. Knock that office cubicle down. Then tell your boss or bosses (when my daughter was a graphic artist, she had 8 at one time--all men!) that you never liked work, and you're just not going to do it any more!

You could practice singing Johnny Paycheck's Take This Job And Shove It if you can carry a tune and sing with a twang.

Takeaway Truth

The day after yesterday is the first day of the rest of your life!

2 comments:

  1. The Godfather gave us several unforgettable lines: "He made me an offer I couldn't refuse," "it's just business," "he sleeps with the fishes."
    Then there's Taxi Driver, "you talking to me?" They just stick with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joan,

    Hope your daughter has a quick recovery.

    ReplyDelete