Heat Wave

"If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?"

That rather amusing question was posed by the droll comedian Steven Wright. I adore his deadpan delivery and his skewed way of looking at life.

One of my favorite authors, Peter Mayle (love his books about Provence) said: "There is nothing I like better at the end of a hot summer's day than taking a short walk around the garden. You can smell the heat coming up from the earth to meet the cooler night air."

That may be true of Mr. Mayle's part of France, but it's definitely not true of July in Texas. About the only smell rising here at the end of a hot summer day is the smell of perspiration dripping from one's brow while it washes away the mosquito repellent applied prior to walking around the garden.

Call me crazy, but I like summer. 

Takeaway Truth

"Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it." ~ Russel Baker

No comments:

Post a Comment