March Roars In

My grandfather, an amateur meteorologist like most people of his generation, always proclaimed: "If March comes in like a lion, it goes out like a lamb, and if it comes in like a lamb, it goes out like a lion."

I have to admit there's a lot of truth in that old aphorism. This first week of March has been bizarre and lion-like. The temperature was in the 20's here in Houston. I can't remember a March when it's been that cold.

Again, we had wind and ice. Ice sheathed the towering trees near me. In fact, I began to wonder where I should park our ranch pickup truck that sits in the driveway most days. If a big branch fell, the truck would be flattened. Fortunately, the weather warmed above freezing for the rest of that drizzly day.

Ralph Waldo Emerson wrote: "Our life is March weather, savage and serene in one hour."

Takeaway Truth

We're all tired of this long, cold winter. Wishing you--and the rest of the country--more of the serene and less of the savage--in weather and in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment