Old Man Winter


I love Houston's climate. Since I grew up on the Gulf Coast, the hot, steamy summers don't bother me at all. Heck, we didn't even have air conditioning when I was a kid.

Normal Winter

Normally, winter in Houston is perfect. Just cold enough to wear sweaters and the occasional coat. The cold days are sparse with lots of sunny days and blue skies to provide contrast.

Abnormal Winter

This past week has been another story. Somebody left the freezer door open! Brrr. We've had temperatures dropping down into the 20's here, and that's just too darn cold.

I've always thought Shakespeare chose wisely when he paired winter and discontent, i.e., "Now is the winter of our discontent."

Winter Sports

Winter of course has winter sports. Many look forward to the Olympic Winter Games. However, I'm forced to agree with humorist Dave Barry who said: "The problem with winter sports is that--follow me closely here--they generally take place in winter."

Takeaway Truth

Shelley wrote: "O, wind, if winter comes, can spring be far behind?"

I sincerely hope not!

No comments:

Post a Comment