Summer Rain

I love soft summer rain. Precipitation in summer has a different personality than the same liquid falling from a winter sky.

When I was in the local grocery store in the small town near our weekend home, everyone was discussing the possibility of rain. I heard several people say they were praying for rain, and others chimed in that they were too.

There's something so genuine and honest about people in rural America. I know they weren't just being social by saying they prayed for rain. I'm convinced they really did.

I don't know if it was in answer to their prayers, but we had the most wonderful rain. It was as if the entire sky was filled with a fine mist that flowed -- not threatening, just a lovely soaking rain.

One of my favorite poets, Langston Hughes wrote: "Let the rain kiss you. Let the rain beat upon your head with silver liquid drops. Let the rain sing you a lullaby."

Takeaway Truth

 If you get lucky enough to have a lovely summer rain, enjoy every raindrop.

2 comments:

  1. Nice, and so are summer rains, though ours this week tended toward the violent side. I never thought of praying for rain as only a rural thing, but I guess it is more important to us outside city limits than to ones within.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Liz. Hope all those stormy rains have ended for you.

    ReplyDelete