Wind And Resistance

I'm at Rancho Reeves. That's what we call our little house here in the Texas Hill Country. Often, I use the time here as my own personal writing retreat. No television to speak of. Not much of anything going on here which is kind of nice. It gives one a chance to tune in to nature and notice things.

For instance, today I'm noticing the wind. It's really blowing here. The windsock at the private airfield is straight out with the wind coming from the north. It's actually quite cool here today.

I'm sitting on the back porch and watching the fields of native grass ripple like waves on water as the wind sweeps over it like a giant hand brushing against the slender green strands.

Poet Kahlil Gibran, a favorite of my hippie generation, wrote: "For what is it to die, but to stand in the sun and melt into the wind?" There's a profound truth to those words that appeal to me.

Wind Is Resistance

Winston Churchill said: "Kites rise highest against the wind, not with it."


As an author, indeed, as a human being, we often face obstacles and resistance in our effort to achieve something worthwhile. Sometimes, wind will send a kite crashing to the ground. The trick is to use the wind to send the kite aloft. Tending the kite, feeding it line until it catches the wind. Veteran kite flyers know this.

If you believe in what you're trying to achieve, then know, going in, that you will meet resistance. Fight for what you want. Meet the challenges and figure out how to use the resistance to your advantage.

Wind Is Propulsion

Singer--yes, he was a singer before he was a sausage king--Jimmy Dean said it this way: "I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination."

That's what we must do to grab our respective brass ring. We must take each challenge that comes our way and learn how to use it to propel us forward much as wind pushes against a sail to send a boat skimming across the water.

Takeaway Truth


Wind can extinguish a small untended flame, but the same wind can stoke a small flame that's being fed kindling into a roaring fire.

1 comment: