Small Towns

We had a blast yesterday at the Texas Mushroom Festival in Madisonville.

Small Town Delight

Madisonville is a delightful small town. Those rushing by on nearby Interstate 45 never get to see this little gem of a town. Sure, they may stop at the new Buc-ee's, but they miss the courthouse square, the historic Woodbine Hotel and Restaurant, the Madison County Museum, and all the quaint little shops.

At the Mushroom Festival, we hit all those places and more and spent a delightful few hours in the wine vendor section. Tried some excellent wines. Ate grilled portobello mushroom "fajitas" (to die for!) and listened to music.

Fried Anything & Everything

Everywhere people paused and took time to chat. I think I had more conversations with strangers than at a cocktail party. We took tons of photos, and I even stood in the longest food line to get my daughter a -- wait for it -- Fried Oreo.

I kid you not. This food vendor had fried everything: Snickers, Oreos, Milky Ways, Baby Ruths, funnel cakes, ribbon potatoes, Twinkies, green beans, and okra. From the time I entered the line until I placed the order, 30 minutes elapsed.

I took pictures of my daughter eating this heart-unfriendly snack. She said it was fabulous. I took a bite. Well, it didn't exactly inspire a passion, but I can now say I have had Fried Oreo. It's certainly nothing I'd eat again. Instead, we decided we'd try the Fried Snickers next year.

Friendly Folk

Our fun-filled day with the cheerful citizens of Madisonville reminded me of what television journalist Charles Kuralt once said: "To read the papers and to listen to the news... one would think the country is in terrible trouble. You do not get that impression when you travel the back roads... small towns do care about their country and wish it well."

How true! I didn't hear one negative comment about the governor's race, the sitting president, the depressed economy or anything.

Takeaway Truth

Two thumbs up to the Texas Mushroom Festival and to Madisonville. Plan to attend next year. Maybe I'll see you there.

No comments:

Post a Comment