Heat

Quote for the Week

This morning I read about the record breaking heat up north. Many may think that's commonplace in my part of Texas, but the truth is that we rarely have the triple digit heat they're experiencing. So, heat inspired today's quotations - two in fact. One is about physical heat, and one is about the heat of inspiration.

Physical Heat

From A Memoir of the Reverend Sydney Smith by his daughter Lady Saba Holland: "Heat, ma'am! it was so dreadful here, that I found there was nothing left for it but to take off my flesh and sit in my bones."

Now, that's pretty darn hot.

Heat of Inspiration

Henry David Thoreau said: "Write while the heat is in you. The writer who postpones the recording of his thoughts uses an iron which has cooled to burn a hole with. He cannot inflame the minds of his audience."

Takeaway Truth

In truth, both forms of heat can make one intensely uncomfortable. To ease one, seek air conditioning. To ease the other, use pen and paper or a keyboard and let the words flow.

2 comments:

  1. Although I'm a great-grandfather, I talk online with a lot of whipper-snappers in their 20s.

    It's always fun to hear their observations, things I learned centuries ago. (You know, parents never wake up a *second* baby in order to see it smile.)

    Latest observation I've come across: you don't want to cool down from running by holding a baby.

    They certainly throw off a lot of heat!

    ReplyDelete