Hospitals

Quote for the Week

After spending most of last week with my daughter in the hospital, I was reminded of what movie mogul Samuel Goldwyn said: "A Hospital is no place to be sick."

I bunked on the, well, I guess you'd call it a cross between a studio couch and a built-in window seat. Since I'm on the petite side, I fit comfortably into the vinyl covered niche. Therefore, one would think I managed to sleep quite well.

I slept as well as my daughter which means that neither of us slept unless you count the odd minutes between someone popping into the room to take her temperature or her blood pressure or her IV or to ask if she was all right or to draw 10 tubes of blood at 4 AM or to again take her vital signs or to mistake her for another patient who was supposed to have some god-awful test done or because the shift changed and the new crew wanted to make sure she knew their names.

Sheesh! From ten at night until five in the morning, every hour on the hour, someone was waking her (and me) up.

All kidding and bitching aside, I appreciate the fact that she was getting excellent care, but I wonder why they don't realize a patient needs sleep too.

Takeaway Truth

If you want to sleep, don't stay in a hospital.

No comments:

Post a Comment