Dale Furutani Writes Again


I'm a big Dale Furutani fan. His Samurai Mystery set in feudal Japan and featuring Kaze are among my favorite books. I had a very nice email from him a couple of days ago and wanted to pass on the good news about a new book from him.

Novelist Interruptus

A few years ago, Dale and his wife actually moved to Japan. Subsequently, they worked there for three years. Unfortunately, he did no writing during that period. Then, when they came home to the States, Dale became ill for an extended period of time.

Bad News/Good News

The bad news is that he wrote no books during that time of sickness. Understandably so. The good news is that's he's finally healthy and back to normal.

Fortunately, Dale's fan base continued to grow, especially in Europe. In fact, he's so popular in France that a publisher is growing his fan base by publishing a manga edition from his first book. That'll reach an entirely new demographic group.

In case you don't know, the French respect and treat those in the arts the way our country treats pro athletes. They treat famous chefs of the culinary arts as if they're gastronomic gods. I wouldn't be surprised if Dale's not recognized and mobbed everywhere he goes.

Better News

The even better news is that Dale says he's now completing a book set in 1894 Japan. During the latter weeks of last year, he and his wife returned to Japan to do more research for his work in progress. Now, he's almost finished with that manuscript.

After that, he says he'll be writing another Kaze book. The new book will pick up the Kaze trilogy.

I don't know when these books will be published, but I can hardly wait. As some of you know, I lived in Japan for several years so the culture holds a special fascination for me.

I stand with all his other eager fans, just waiting for a release date. For now, I'll have to content myself by reading again one of his books from my library. Think I'll start with Death At The Crossroads.

Sling Words
out to lose herself in feudal Japan.

6 comments:

  1. I just discovered Furutani, and am a few chapters into the second book of the trilogy. Very enjoyable reading, looking forward to the new books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting. I'm sure you'll enjoy the rest of his books. He's really an amazing author and a very nice person too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is now 2010. Have any books by
    Dale been published since your post
    in 2008?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What has been published since 2008?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello!

    As far as I know, Mr. Furutani has not yet published anything new. Of course, there could be a book in production even as I write, but I'm not aware of it.

    We can only hope for a new book from this talented author.

    Best wishes,
    Joan Reeves

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Matsuyama Kaze trilogy are some of the most powerful and amazing books i have ever read. I hope Dale will bless the world with some more of these great adventure novels set in feudal Japan.

    ReplyDelete