Writers Create Memorable Movie Words

As I read some of the commentary about the writers' strike on Sun Oasis this morning, the question posed a few days ago by the blog: "How important are writers?" struck me forcefully because I'd just finished reading the obituary for Roy Scheider, one of my favorite actors.

Now, before you think, "Geez! Joan's really stuck on slinging words about death!" let me explain.

The obit told how Roy Scheider would be remembered for saying: "We're gonna need a bigger boat." It also said how those words uttered by him were listed as one of the 50, I think it was, most memorable movie lines.

Like I said, I really like Scheider and his body of work, but I couldn't help arguing out loud with the article. (Stupid? Yeah, it is.) But think about it. Scheider would never have had those words to say if some writer hadn't created them.

Hollywood and the whole world has it back-asswards. They should be celebrating the writers who wrote the words at least as much as the actor who spoke them.

Can anyone out there name the writer who first penned: "Here's looking at you, kid" or "Do you feel lucky, punk?" or "A man's got to know his limitations." or "The truth? You can't handle the truth." or even the line from Jaws that Scheider spoke with such awe?

If you don't, look it up. The Net makes it easy.

Come on, Hollywood! Start recognizing that if it weren't for writers, your industry would shut down. Or start producing opuses like "Survivor: Easter Island, Sequel 53."

No comments:

Post a Comment