Book reviews & illiteracy death spiral

Yesterday since it was the first, I posted my website update. On the Reading page, I included a small article about Illiteracy. I frequently do this because Literacy is one of the causes I champion. If you are a writer, which I am, you too should be a supporter of the Literacy effort. If you're a human being, you should support Literacy because it's an important aspect of an individual's health and well-being.

Naturally, when I received my email newsletter from Booksquare today, I was interested in what they had to say about the death of book reviews and illiteracy among other things. They linked to an article by Kathleen Parker on the twin subjects.

Ms. Parker dissects the recent decision by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution to discontinue its Book Review section. It was one of only six newspapers left in this country that had stand-alone review sections.

I urge you to follow both links especially if you are a writer. What happens to writers in a world where readers dwindle? Are you doing anything to increase the number of readers? Think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment