Happy anniversary, Sling Words

Hard to believe but today is the 1st Anniversary of entering the blogging world. In early 2004, I wrote a feature article on blogging for a Romance Writers of America chapter newsletter. The article was reprinted in several writing groups' newsletters in the U. S. and abroad.

One of the points I made in the article was that blogging required a commitment to produce content regularly. The idea of writing daily for an audience and getting instant feedback held great appeal, but I wasn't ready to make that commitment.

However, I was hooked. I found myself collecting long lists of blogs that I enjoyed visiting on a daily basis. As time passed, I put about a dozen of these on my tabbed browser (Mozilla Firefox - if you haven't changed from IE, you're missing out.). Rarely does a day pass, if I'm home, that I don't stop in and visit these blogs. They're like saying hello to the neighbors each day.

Finally, I decided to take the plunge in December 2004. I thought I was ready. I thought I had the time to compose thoughtful articles about the art and craft of writing, the business of writing, or just a discourse on the writer's life.

Wrong. Of course, Christmas season is never a good time to embark on a new pursuit. So I gave myself permission to wait. Remember the old song: "ain't it funny how time slips away?" Suddenly, it was April. Finally, Sling Words had its premiere.

My goal is to post daily, but I don't. I admire those like my friend Bill Crider who has been ever faithful with his Pop Culture Magazine and others like him who rarely miss a day. When I grow up, I want to be just like them. Until then, I'll keep the goal of posting daily, but I won't beat myself up if I don't.

Tonight, I think I'll crack open my "book sale" champagne that lives in its special bin in the refrigerator and toast myself.

Sling Words out to go dust off the champagne glasses.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the compliment, but my pop culture posts are never as insightful about writing as yours. And happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete